Addicted to Food Network

July 10, 2007 0 Comments A+ a-

I am a Food Network-aholic. I tivo the show "The Next Food Network Star." I love Paula Deen and the Barefoot Contessa and Iron Chef and Alton Brown's "Good Eats." .

I cannot stand Sandra whats-her-name with the Semi-Homemade show. She is so condescending and full of herself. The very moment that show comes on, I change to something else. Cannot stand her. Ick!

Giada DeLaurentiis is on now, with her "Everyday Italian" show. Love her and her show. Whenever I have made any of her recipes, they have been scrumptious. Here is my favorite:

Fusilli with Sausage, Artichokes, and Sun-Dried Tomatoes

3/4 cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, sliced,
2 tablespoons of oil reserved 1 pound Italian hot sausages, casings removed
2 (8-ounce) packages frozen artichoke hearts
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine 16 ounces fusilli pasta
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan, plus additional for garnish
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
8 ounces water-packed fresh mozzarella, drained and cubed, optional
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat the oil reserved from the tomatoes in a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the sausages and cook until brown, breaking up the meat into bite-size pieces with a fork, about 8 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a bowl. Add the artichokes and garlic to the same skillet, and saute over medium heat until the garlic is tender, about 2 minutes. Add the broth, wine, and sun-dried tomatoes. Boil over medium-high heat until the sauce reduces slightly, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the fusilli in boiling water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Drain the pasta (do not rinse). Add the pasta, sausage, 1/2 cup Parmesan, basil, and parsley to the artichoke mixture. Toss until the sauce is almost absorbed by the pasta. Stir in the mozzarella. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve, passing the additional Parmesan cheese alongside.

Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 18 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Yield: 6 servings
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Admittedly, not very friendly for your waist, but, if you like Italian sausage, it is sooo good.

This will also explain me joining Weight Watchers this past May. Officially, I have lost 11.4 pounds, but I haven't been to weigh-in since June 4th . It is more like 19 pounds now. Yaaaay, me! I would like to point out that I would kill for the 14 ounce ribeye steak at Lonestar right now.

Okay, not really--the more I lose, the more motivated I am.

I also started working out with a trainer, too--about once a week. He kicks my butt! Cardio?? Are you kidding? I have smoked for the last 30 years. Mostly have quit now. Every now and then, I gotta smoke. I love smoking. I hate smoking. Wish it were easier.

Blondie