Sunday Afternoon

October 28, 2007 0 Comments A+ a-

It's a quiet Sunday afternoon here at Casa de Tres Gatos...

Norm has been in Dallas since Thursday, attending a reunion of fighter pilots and Forward Air Controllers--people he worked with and flew with when he was active duty Air Force. He has had a great time catching up with friends, and his voice has gotten hoarse--I suspect there has been quite a bit of hoopin' and hollerin', along with the consumption of adult beverages, among this bunch. He is on his way home, and called me to let me know his plane diverted to Nashville (BNA) because of a medical emergency with one of the passengers onboard. I hope the passenger is okay, and that the Flight Attendants handle the situation well.

That is one of the things of flying as the only Flight Attendant on the 50 seat or less planes that I don't like. I am the only one making the decisions with no one else qualified to assist. I am trained in basic First Aid, and know how to administer oxygen, perform CPR, and how to use the AED. In fact, next week I go for my annual required "recurrent" training, where all of this information is reviewed and we get tested, and "checked off" on it. I hope the right decisions get made at the time they need to be made.

Recurrent training is always fun. There are usually 20 of us....some from each of our bases. The classes are fast and furious--they cram a lot of information into two days. We review equipment, security, CRM, firepit practice (we put out a small fire wearing a PBE ), AED/CPR and take a written test. We fly in on the morning of the first day, and fly home the evening of the second day--so it is a lot to cover in a short amount of time. We all work hard to get what needs to be done, done...and have fun while doing it. It is one of the ways we get to know other people from other bases.

Tomorrow I am going to see a doctor about laser eye surgery. If I am a candidate, I won't get it done until next year. I need to find out what it will cost so I can set up my Health Spending Account accordingly. I have been wearing glasses since the 3rd grade when I was 8 years old. Got my first pair on Valentine's Day...and the cute boy in my class, Steve L***** told me he liked my glasses. (Green eyeglasses! UGH!) He even played a game with me at lunchtime. Sweetie-pie! I am terribly near-sighted, with astigmatism, and am starting to need reading glasses. Something tells me I am not going to be eligible for this....

One of the things I enjoy doing the most is reading the Sunday Post with Norm...and I sort of saved it for when he got home this afternoon and we could read it together. It appears he will be much later than planned, so I think I am going to curl up in the chair, fireplace going, kitty cats purring, and enjoy the solitude of what's left of this afternoon....
Blondie