Christmas surprise!

December 25, 2009 2 Comments A+ a-

On Christmas Eve, I received a phone call from Sally at the Crew Desk at one o'clock in the morning. Lovely. She was sending me on a San Juan turn--three and a half hours down to Puerto Rico, forty minutes there, then four hours back to Washington.

While driving to work, I called Norm in Germany. He told me about his list of things to do that day, and that later that evening, he was meeting some old friends at the bar--and would I call him when I got home that afternoon? I explained that I didn't expect to get home until about 7 p.m. (which is 1 a.m. in Germany) and he said it would be fine--that he would probably still be awake.

Our Airbus 320 to San Juan (SJU) was packed with holiday travelers on the way down there. P-A-C-K-E-D. Bodies flowed out into the aisle: long legs, broad shoulders, bent knees and elbows. Babies in laps were very vocal about their displeasure of being cooped up on the plane for so long. Mostly, though, everyone was in good spirits on this Christmas Eve.

I was tickled to find out that our returning flight had only 48 passengers. It gave my Flying Partner, Orlando and me the opportunity to have a good time with our passengers. And we did-nothing spectacular--just fun! Two little girls, about 5 years old, who spoke no English, played with me and my limited Spanish...they were so cute that I brought them warm chocolate chip cookies and cold milk from First Class. Just the kind of day that makes me really, really happy that I'm a Flight Attendant.

On the drive home, I tried to call Norm--but, his phone rang and rang and rang--he wasn't home from the bar, yet. Once I got home, Kirsten was there. Kirsten had flown up from Pensacola, FL (PNS) earlier in the day to spend the holiday with us--it was so good to see her here!

I was so tired--seven and a half hours of flying without a break is a long, long day. I hadn't slept well the night before, and could barely keep my eyes open while the three of us, two sisters and a best friend, made a little Christmas Eve celebration. Kirsten put out some appetizers and poured adult beverages--while I monitored activities through half-opened eyes.

Around 8:45, the doorbell rang. Who in the world was ringing my doorbell at that time of the night? Just to be safe, I asked the girls to "cover my back" as I went to the front door. I looked out through the peephole and quizzically said, "uhhhh, that looks like Norm." I looked out of the glass panels on the side of the door to realize that it was Norm!

With a shriek of joy, I unlocked the door, threw it open and myself on my husband! I'm not one to ever really be surprised--so I was shocked that he was home. I hugged and hugged and hugged him! I couldn't let go! (And, what a baby I am--he has only been gone for three weeks!)

Turns out that he was actually packing when I called him on my way to work. He had already looked up my schedule and saw I was going to be home on Christmas Eve night, so he used our flight benefits to non-rev home. There could not have been a better evening for me!

We gathered in the living room around the Christmas tree to pass out presents. That's when I learned that Norm had already informed Kirsten that he was coming home that night. She did such a good job keeping it from me...I had no clue!

So, we shared Christmas gifts and cookies and [insert Norman Rockwell reference here.]

I was on Reserve for Christmas Day and did not get called in for a trip. And, while nothing fabulous or dramatic happened--this Christmas Day was one of the best days in my life. Kirsten and I made dinner; friend Tim fried a turkey, and Norm brought the tablecloth down out of the dryer and...wait for it....put it on the table himself! The house was filled with love and kinship and was just a great day!

Last night, the Crew Desk called and gave me a crap trip. I am only legal to work five and a half hours, so they are working me from Baltimore (BWI) to Denver (DEN). There they have me with a two hour layover, then deadhead back to Washington (IAD). Then, surface transportation (a car) back to the airport I started at, BWI. A twelve hour day for four hours worth of work!

Hopefully, we'll get into DEN just a few minutes early, and I'll be able to deadhead back to IAD on the earlier flight. If that happens, I'll be able to spend a few minutes with Norm, while he is at the airport heading back to Frankfurt (FRA) tonight.

Cross your fingers for me, please!


2 What's YOUR view? Click here to comment, please!

Write What's YOUR view? Click here to comment, please!
December 26, 2009 at 7:22 PM delete

What a sweet, sweet husband! WOW! Sounds like you had an awesome day. Ours was just as awesome as we spend the day quietly just enjoying each other.

December 27, 2009 at 11:09 PM delete

Quietly enjoying the people we have in our ives--how great is that?? Love you!