Coffee, Tea, or AED, part 2

October 21, 2009 1 Comments A+ a-

A couple of weeks ago, the newspaper USA Today had an article about Flight Attendants and the use of the AED called Coffee, Tea or Defibrillator. Almost a year ago, I wrote a post about some of the emergency procedures that Flight Attendants train for: Coffee, Tea, or AED. At the end of the post, I told a true story about my friend that I called "John."

I sent John a link to that article, in case he didn't see it. He sent me back an e-mail:

I used the AED, one year ago today. And look what shows up in the newspaper today. Coincidence? Or GOD shaking my foundation today?

I wrote the editor of the USA Today and said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to compliment my profession in today's ...article: Coffee, tea or AED? My response is two-fold.


To all of my colleagues: your training skills will help you through this type of inflight emergency, but be prepared to deal with negative circumstances. One year ago today, I used the AED on one of my passengers on a trans-con flight. Unfortunately, the man did not survive. Be prepared to deal with grief. I went to my layover hotel in shock and had nightmares for a week. I grieved for a man I didn't know for months.

And, to all of our passengers: please say something if you're not feeling well. If my passenger had only said something to one of the flight attendants we could of kept an eye on him. I'll never know how long he was sitting there unconscious until someone finally rang for assistance.

I was able to write the family and send my condolences after this incident. So, today, on the one year anniversary, I'm wiping away tears on my jumpseat. Still saddened by my experience. Saddened for the children who no longer have a father and a wife who no longer has her soulmate.

He gives great advice--if you don't feel well, let us know.

It makes me sad that my friend is still haunted by his experience from last year.

Blondie
Blondie

1 What's YOUR view? Click here to comment, please!:

Write What's YOUR view? Click here to comment, please!
Kirsten
AUTHOR
October 22, 2009 at 7:33 AM delete

Could you have given a warning to your readers with that temporal thingymajig to have a tissue handy?!? And, oh yeah, not to be eating breakfast while reading??? The tears and runny nose and mouth full of burrito....let's just say it choked me up.

Reply
avatar